Darwin Bay Kayak Expedition
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Moderate/Strenuous
DURATION: 3 hours
SAN CRISTOBAL KAYAK ADVENTURE TOUR MAP:
At the designated time, meet in the Islanders Store office near the Muelle de Los Pescadores (Fisherman’s Dock) to pick up your snorkeling equipment and life jackets. From there it’s a couple minutes walk to Playa de Oro where you’ll meet your tour guide and receive a short safety briefing. We’ll launch off the beach and proceed to Darwin Bay (Tijeretas). Once we reach the bay, we’ll drop anchor and don our snorkeling gear and jump into the water. After snorkeling for about 45 minutes, we’ll reboard the kayaks and start paddling back toward town. The return trip requires 30 minutes of strong, continuous paddling. We’ll finish our tour at Playa de Oro, then you can enjoy juice and snacks at the office.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- All snorkeling will be done in open water. You will enter and exit the water straight from the kayaks, not from land.
- Everything will get splashed/wet. Please do not bring anything that is not waterproof!
- Please advise the tour operator in advance of your kayaking, swimming and snorkeling experience, and if you have any physical limitations. This is not a “beginner” activity!
- The tour operator will not be responsible for any accidents or injuries that may occur and you will be required to sign a liability waiver prior to your tour.
- The wildlife, especially sea lions, are not afraid of humans. They will likely get very close to you in the water and may even try to jump on the kayaks. Please do not try to touch them!
- The water temperature averages 21°C / 70°F. Inquire about wetsuit rentals in advance if you think you might need one.
- Make sure you have eaten sufficiently prior to the start of the tour.
WILDLIFE YOU MAY ENCOUNTER:
Sea lions, sea turtles, rays, many varieties of fish, marine iguanas, blue-footed boobies, frigates, lava gulls, pelicans, petrels, and other birds.
- Certified English- & Spanish-speaking guide
- High-quality expedition kayaks
- Safety equipment
- Snorkeling equipment
- Post-tour snacks & beverages
- GoPro videos are available for an additional fee.
- Wetsuits are available for an additional fee.
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING:
- Wide-brim hat with chin strap
- Sunglasses with lanyard
- Sandals with straps
- Dry bag