San Cristóbal Highlands by Bike
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Moderate/Strenuous
DURATION: 4 hours
SAN CRISTOBAL HIGHLANDS TOUR MAP:
Meet at the bike rental office at the designated time to be fitted for your bicycle and helmet. We’ll load everything into a pickup truck and drive 20 minutes to El Junco. We will climb the steep stairs to the top of the crater for a view of the freshwater lake.
From El Junco, it’s a 45-minute ride to La Soledad where we will visit a farm and hike to a lookout point.
A 30-minute ride takes us through the highlands community of El Progreso to El Socavón, where we can see coffee plants.
We’ll continue cycling another 30 minutes through the rural landscape and eventually reconnect with the paved bike path alongside the main road. It’s all downhill from here!
We’ll drop off our bikes at the office and perhaps grab a drink together at Playa Mann.
This itinerary may be customized to include Puerto Chino and La Galapaguera. See “Highlands Tour by Car” for more details.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- The majority of the route we will be cycling is on a rocky dirt road; some uphill and downhill sections are steep.
- The tour operator will not be responsible for any accidents or injuries that may occur and you will be required to sign a liability waiver prior to your tour.
- It often rains in the highlands. You will likely get wet and muddy.
- The only restroom is at the farm.
- Make sure you have eaten sufficiently prior to the start of the tour and bring snacks if you might need them.
- Certified English- & Spanish-speaking guide
- Ground transportation to El Junco
- Bicycle and helmet
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING:
- Water and snacks
- Enclosed shoes that can get muddy
- Light jacket