San Cristóbal Highlands by Car
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Easy/Moderate
DURATION: 4 hours
SAN CRISTOBAL HIGHLANDS TOUR MAP:
We will pick you up at your hotel at the designated time and drive 20 minutes to El Junco crater lake. If conditions are good, we will climb the steep stairs to the top of the crater. Total visit is around 30 minutes. If visibility is poor, we will make this stop at the end of the tour.
From El Junco, it’s a 10-minute drive to La Galapaguera tortoise research & conservation center where we will visit the giant tortoises by walking on a rocky trail for about one hour.
After another short drive, we’ll reach the end of the road at Puerto Chino. We’ll walk the paved trail for about 10 minutes to the sandy beach where we can relax and swim for 45 minutes or go for a short hike to the lookout point over the bay.
Upon our return to Puerto Baquerizo Moreno town center we’ll drop you off at your hotel.
The order of site visits in this itinerary may be adjusted due to weather conditions.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- The tour operator will not be responsible for any accidents or injuries that may occur and you will be required to sign a liability waiver prior to your tour.
- The animals we will encounter are not afraid of humans. They will likely get very close to you. Please do not try to touch or feed them.
- Always stay within the designated trails.
- The water temperature averages 21°C / 70°F.
- There are no restrooms at El Junco or Puerto Chino.
- Make sure you have eaten sufficiently prior to the start of the tour and bring snacks if you might need them.
WILDLIFE YOU MAY ENCOUNTER:
Sea lions, sea turtles, lava lizards, blue-footed boobies, giant tortoises, frigates, finches and other birds.
- Certified English- & Spanish-speaking guide
- Ground transportation
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING:
- Wide-brim hat
- Water and snacks
- Comfortable walking shoes that can get muddy
- Light jacket