Tijeretas Hike & Snorkeling
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Moderate
DURATION: 3 hours
CERRO TIJERETAS and PUNTA CAROLA TOUR MAP:
At the designated time, meet in the office near the Muelle de Los Pescadores (Fisherman’s Dock) to pick up your snorkeling equipment and meet your guide. From there it’s a 15-minute walk to the Interpretation Center where you can have a quick look at the exhibits; we encourage you to come back on your own to read all about the history of the islands. This is also the last chance to use a restroom until the end of the tour. We’ll follow the paved trail for about 20 minutes to Darwin Bay where we can climb the steps to the two viewing platforms on Cerro Tijeretas. Down at the bay, we’ll don our snorkeling gear and jump into the water. After snorkeling for about 45 minutes, we’ll continue following the trail another 15 minutes to two more lookout points on our way to Playa Punta Carola. We can end the tour there so you can have free time to swim and enjoy the beach, or we’ll continue walking about 20 minutes to Playa Mann where food, drinks, and restrooms are available.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Please advise us in advance of your snorkeling and swimming experience.
- The tour operator will not be responsible for any accidents or injuries that may occur and you will be required to sign a liability waiver prior to your tour.
- The wildlife, especially sea lions, are not afraid of humans. They will likely get very close to you in the water. Please do not try to touch them!
- The water temperature averages 21°C / 70°F. Inquire about wetsuit rentals in advance if you think you might need one.
- The trail is not shaded; be sure you have adequate sun protection.
- Make sure you have eaten sufficiently prior to the start of the tour and bring snacks if you might need them.
WILDLIFE YOU MAY ENCOUNTER:
Sea lions, sea turtles, rays, many varieties of fish, marine iguanas, lava lizards, blue-footed boobies, frigates, pelicans, and other birds.
- Certified English- & Spanish-speaking guide
- Snorkeling equipment
- Life jacket if desired
- Wetsuits are available for an additional fee.
- GoPro videos are available for an additional fee.
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING:
- Wide-brim hat
- Comfortable walking shoes